Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Journey begins with avoiding obesogens...

Just want to give a friendly hello to anyone who happens across this blog. A good friend of mine has been trying to get me to begin blogging my thoughts for a while so I thought I would give it a go!



I, like many people, am an American who struggles with her weight. I have stuggled since childhood. I have tried many diets and plans and found only temporary success. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid. I now take medication for this problem, however have not lost any weight from being on the medication alone.



I have done a lot of research the last year or so on health...health in general. The most interesting recent find is regarding obesogens. Dr. Oz brought obesogens to my attention on his show and also was featured in an article regarding them in Women's World magazine. If you or someone you know struggles with a weight problem or would just like to ensure optimum health, I can't stress the importance of understanding what obesogens are and how to avoid them.



Obesogens are chemical compounds foreign to the body that disrupt normal development or homeostasis of metabolism of lipids ultimately resulting in fat accumulation and obesity. In other words, obesogens are chemicals in your food that should not be there, they cause you to become fat! Probably the worst thing about obesogens is the fact that they are nearly everywhere! Digging into how they got into our food supply is a long and arduous journey. In the future, I intend to further discuss the food industry and how greed and corruption ir robbing us all of our health and the possibility of a long and disease-free life.



Since becoming aware of obesogens and making some dietary changes beginning at New Years 2011, I have lost 7 pounds. I have had no increase in exercise or physical activity, I have simply changed the foods I put into my body and limited myself to eating out 1X per week at the most. The changes I have made include buying more organic products and ensuring I thoroughly wash anything that is not organic. I avoid soy, canola, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweetners and anything that is GMO. Sounds simple enough right? It is harder than you'd think! Start reading the ingredients in the food you eat....it is absolutely terrifying how many ingredients and how many of them are not necesary. This was not the easiest transition at first. The first week or two I had to deal with withdrawls from some of the chemicals. Once I got past that threshold...my energy increased and now the smell of some fast food is disgusting to me. I look forward to a healthy meal, my body craves REAL FOOD.



My goal by changing my diet is not just about weight loss...it is about health. Health is the most important thing and is something we should all strive for. I am attempting to set healthy habits now so that I can continue them for the rest of my life. One gift this has given me is to change my perspective. When I look at ingredient lists, if it contains known obesogens including any form of soy product, I do not consider it food. This change in my thinking process has really helped me along my journey.



Below is a link to an article put forth by Dr Oz detailing obesogens. I urge you to read this article so that you too can become aware. I hope that is sparks a fire within you! I hope that you too want to start having a better understanding of the importance of what you put in your body. I hope that you are able to make changes to your diet that will have positive effects not just on the bathroom scale, but on your health in general!


http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/understanding-obesogens

0 comments:

Post a Comment